Help your child become a lifelong reader and be ready for kindergarten by participating in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading program at the Barberton Public Library.
The goal is to have read 1,000 books to your child (yes you can repeat books) before he or she starts kindergarten. Does it sound hard? Not really if you think about it.
If you read just one book each night, you will have read 365 books in one year. In two years, you will have read 730 books. In three years, you will have read 1,095!
1. Sign up for the program in the Children’s Department. When you sign up you will receive a folder to keep track of your reading, a numbered reading sheet, and a Friends of the Barberton Public Library book bag.
2. Read together with your child.
3. Write the titles on your numbered reading sheet. If you read a book more than once, you can record it each time. Books read at storytime, at daycare or by others to your child also count!
4. When you finish 100 books, bring your sheet to the Library and:
- Receive a sticker for your completed page
- Place a sticker on the appropriate colored bird
- Collect your next numbered reading sheet
5. Repeat steps 2-4 and receive a different sticker and numbered reading sheet at each level.
6. We have special awards along the way for your child.
- Sign-up: Reading Folder and Friends of the Library Reading Bag
- 300 books: Three Little Pigs Flannel Board Characters
- 500 books: Plush Animal Finger Puppet
- 800 books: Plush Animal Finger Puppet
- 1000 books: Book and Certificate
This program is made possible by the Friends of the Barberton Public Library.